From: Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org <Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org> On Behalf Of James
Bottomley
Sent: Tuesday, 14 April, 2020 06:35
To: Kyle Mitchell <k...@kemitchell.com>
Cc: atwo...@amazon.com; Kate Stewart <kstew...@linuxfoundation.org>;
Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org; s...@lists.spdx.org
Subject: Re: Chime instead of Zoom, a modest proposal

On Mon, 2020-04-13 at 20:55 -0700, Kyle Mitchell wrote:
> Others have more religious affinity for the Linux desktop.

Wow that's a blast from the early part of this millenium.  Since Linux now runs
over 80% of the world's computing resources, I thought we'd got over
stigmatizing people who actually run it on their desktops.

It's not for want of others trying:  my workplace keeps sending me windows
laptops, but they aren't really useful for my daily activities and it turns out
that if you don't switch them on very often, they simply stop working and
eventually the capital expense isn't worth it.

> But I haven't seen any libre option that stacks up to Zoom's
> reliability.  Other closed competitors---Hangouts especially---never
> met that bar, either.

Well, I'm glad you asked ... so far the most promising fully open trial is this
one:

https://bigbluebutton.org/

But the trials are still ongoing so that's by no means the final answer.  It's
actually somewhat obvious: bigbluebutton was developed for teaching remotely in
under resourced schools, so of course they brought it up on a free (as in beer)
OS because everything else was cost prohibitive.  No one's heard of it because
their advertising budget matches the available resources ...

James

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Gary Kershaw
Registered Office: Munich