Thanks for the quick responses, Steve and Mike!

I should have been more clear on what I needed input on ASAP - which was, a)
what info would be helpful to collect (now) about any public domain dedication
text found in Fedora?

Which we could then used later to b) determine how to implement a way to better
deal with potentially many variations on the same theme.

I think you are both skipping to the ‘how to implement’ part, which I was also
keeping in the back of my mind, as it somewhat informs what information would
be helpful to collect now.

I suppose I’m leaning towards exploring what Steve describes below as option #3
which I think is similar to what Mike is describing as well.

In regards to the other ideas Steve provided, #2 has been discussed multiple
times over the years and I still think the write-up we did to answer that
question (when/if it came up again) still holds - see
https://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Dealing_with_Public_Domain_within_SPDX_Files_(DRAFT)

<https://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Dealing_with_Public_Domain_within_SPDX_Files_(DRAFT)>
 - having an identifier that is supposed to recognize a specific legal concept
with no text to match to is prone to misinterpretation and dilution of the
value of the identifier to begin with.

Which is why I’m leaning towards thinking that a deviation from our 1:1
principle but defined as 1 identifier to a collection of texts that are
documented (and thus go through a review cycle by SPDX-legal community) could
be an interesting idea…

But again, I think having some data to understand what this picture actually
looks like is the place to start, hence see (a) above.

Thanks!
Jilayne