With the colossal caveat that I am only a **consumer of** Unicode's
deliverables, I could speak briefly to the concern at point #3:

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 11:20 AM Till Jaeger via lists.spdx.org <jaeger=
jbb...@lists.spdx.org> wrote:

> 3.
> To me it seems that the "UnicodeĀ® Copyright and Terms of Use" are more
> or less ToU for a website and all redistributables are under "Unicode-DFS".

This is certainly inconvenient, but the Unicode site does host quite a few
items with practical application, but which aren't under the "DATA FILES"
and "SOFTWARE" hierarchies spelled out in "B" of the TOU.

Namely, there is the whole "UnicodeĀ® Technical Site" at the entry point
https://unicode.org/main.html ... which is different from the "Unicode
site" at the entry point https://home.unicode.org/

Some of that "Technical Site" material covers projects and committees;
there are also older documents, proposals, some data tables, things called
"annexes" that I'm never 100% sure I understand the status of, and so on.
My guess would be that there is a lot of legacy material from the
organization's history that simply doesn't have a clear-cut,
select-a-license-from-the-dropdown option.

Fortunately, a lot of that material is mostly needed as references, but I
can certainly see how occasions would arise where quoting from it is
necessary to squash a bug. I've had people attach screenshots from really
old Unicode docs in discussion threads. So I wouldn't attempt to weigh in
on the other issues (certainly keeping the text up-to-date sounds vital),
but merely dropping the license from SPDX would likely affect (a few)
projects downstream.

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis