Hello Steve,

Am 22.02.23 um 20:54 schrieb Steve Winslow:
Hi Till,

Regarding the Unicode Terms of Use: since there is a new and
substantively different set of terms at
https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
<https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html>, I agree it would be
appropriate to add them to the SPDX License List as a new identifier.
I would probably propose `Unicode-TOU-2023` as the identifier. I've
added an issue at https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1851
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1851> for the
community to weigh in on adding it.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for taking care.

For the existing `Unicode-TOU` identifier, we don't change or remove
identifiers from the list, so I think that identifier would still
remain present no matter what. But there are two changes that could be
considered (I've added an issue at
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1852
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1852> for community
input):

1. whether to change the "Full name" (which shows up in e.g. the
left-hand column at https://spdx.org/licenses
<https://spdx.org/licenses>) to "Unicode Terms of Use - 2014"; and/or
2. whether to deprecate the `Unicode-TOU` identifier altogether, and
add a corresponding `Unicode-TOU-2014` with identical content.

Ok. Makes sense to me.

I'm in favor of step 1 either way. For step 2, I am on the fence and
interested in what others have to say. This would keep `Unicode-TOU`
as a valid identifier with the same text, but would mark it as
"deprecated" and move it to the bottom part of the list; and would
provide `Unicode-TOU-2014` as a versioned alternative for folks to use.

To be clear, in either case this would _not_ result in removing
`Unicode-TOU` as a valid identifier. Even if it's deprecated, it would
still be present on the License List, as we do not remove existing
identifiers. But deprecating it and adding a new `Unicode-TOU-2014`
alternative might help alleviate the issues you're seeing.

Agreed.

Also, I would _not_ be in favor of removing
https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
<https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html> from the "other URLs" list
for either identifier. Even if it does not point to the corresponding
text today, if someone is using content from 2014 under the old
license text, then relying solely on that URL as embodied in the
content would also lead to a wrong conclusion if only the current
version had the URL associated with it.

What about using
https://web.archive.org/web/20140226150148/http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
?

Any sort of dependence on listed URLs to be accurate for license
detection is going to fail in particular cases, and as a policy matter
I believe we've taken the position that "other URLs" will not be
modified based on evolving content. (*Jilayne* or others who may have
historical knowledge here, please feel free to jump in if I'm off-base!)

If has seen some links from https://web.archive.org. But maybe they were
used from the beginning.

The URL https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
<https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html> would of course still be
appropriate to add also to the new Unicode-TOU-2023 entry.

I assume there will be future changes on that URL. Perhaps using
https://web.archive.org/web/20230206070607/https://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
is a good idea?

Please note that the year in the copyright notice changes each year.

Finally, for the Unicode Data Files and Software license, from the
comparison you shared it looks like the only differences between
https://www.unicode.org/license.txt
<https://www.unicode.org/license.txt> and Unicode-DFS-2016 might be in
omitable (blue) or replaceable (red) text. With the exception being
the inclusion of the URL after "See Terms of Use" at the very
beginning. I would be more inclined to add that URL as additional
"omitable" text for Unicode-DFS-2016, rather than create a separate
license identifier for it. But I've added an issue at
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1853
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1853> for folks to
weigh in on this one as well.

Interesting question about whether or not the change to the omitted text
justifies a new identifier. I see your point.

Thanks for your support!

Have anice weekend.

Best,
Till