As I've been following the issue queue for
github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues over the past several months,
it seems to me that you get a significant number of license
submissions like this latest one:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1790

The pattern is, someone has drafted their own license, it either isn't
being used at all in the real world or it is being used for a few
insignificant projects of the license author. In some cases the
license seems to be connected to some contemplated commercial activity
of the license submitter. Presumably SPDX license list inclusion is
seen as a way of legitimizing or popularizing the novel license. I am
quite familiar with this sort of phenomenon from my past involvement
with the OSI, where the nature of the OSI process as it was
historically defined seemed to unintentionally result in many license
submissions of this sort.

When I look at the SPDX license inclusion guidelines, I am concerned
that this sort of behavior is not sufficiently discouraged. The
guidelines say "The license has actual, substantial use such that it
is likely to be encountered. Substantial use may be demonstrated via
use in many projects, or in one or a few significant projects. For new
licenses, there are definitive plans for the license to be used in one
or a few significant projects."
But this is not one of the "definitive" factors and it is the third of
a list of non-definitive factors that are given "roughly in order of
importance". Someone might understandably conclude that "substantial
use" isn't too important to SPDX.

My main criticism of the SPDX license list from years ago was that it
was not representative of the makeup of the FOSS project world that I
was seeing in Linux distribution packages and other software I
encountered in my work. I have been engaged in trying to get the SPDX
license list to more accurately reflect the state of widely-used FOSS
today and it is frustrating to see repeated examples of vanity license
submissions. I suggest that the license inclusion principles should be
revised to elevate and perhaps strengthen the "substantial use"
requirement and the maintainers of license-list-XML should more
actively make clear that such licenses are generally inappropriate for
the SPDX license list.

Richard