I said:
David> From a programmer's perspective I think the "cryptic" approach is FAR
superior.  There are lots of tools that can quickly examine files and return
text with the pattern "SPDX-License-Identifier: ", and other tools that can
trivially process the stuff after it.  The above  alternative is more work to
process, and humans don't like unnecessary work :-).

D M German:
>When you say "programmer" who do you mean? The author of the software, the one
>who is thinking about using the file, or a large organization who wants to
>scan massive amounts of code?

I was focusing on the first two, and I agree with Wolfgang Denk:
"For a software developer, there is no sharp line here.  While creating new
software, we frequently borrow from existing code, so we are creators and
consumers at the same time.

However, the "large organization" case is also plausible.  Large organizations
in practice will depend on technical people to get the information; it helps to
make a common task easy for the technical people.

--- David A. Wheeler