Wolfgang Denk wrote at 04:42 (EDT):
> the files are now licensed under GPL-2.0, i. e. the "or later" option
> had to be dropped for the file as a whole, because it was not
> available for the parts imported from Linux.

Files aren't copyright-magical-single-units.  Nothing in the copyright
statute talks about how licenses go with "files".  Licenses go with
works, and works can be merged, combined together, derived from, etc. to
form new works which incorporate both its antecedents.  Technologically,
if you can "get back" to the original work and be sure that other works
aren't mingled with it, then you are back to the original license.  The
"easy way" to do this is keep separately licensable works in different
files, but that's not the only way.

Thus, while splitting a file back up into parts that are GPLv2-only and
GPLv2-or-later is difficult, it's not impossible, and you definitely
"change the outcome by observing it" if you declare the license of a
whole file to be GPLv2-only simply because some copyrightable material
that was GPLv2-only was brought in.

That said, I'm not a fan of this obsession to try to get "perfect
information" about the license of a work, or its files, or anything
else.  It doesn't actually help compliance in ways that matter.
--
   -- bkuhn