On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Paul Sherwood
<paul.sherw...@codethink.co.uk> wrote:

>> Wind River has provided a free SPDX creation service for more than
>> three years including the dashboard view:
>>      http://spdx.windriver.com/pkg_upload.aspx
>>
>> We did this to allow one to obtain instance access to the SPDX
>> creation process to promote the adoption of SPDX.  All you need is a
>> software package and an email address (actually you only need an email
>> since we provide sample packages as well). We make it so easy that
>> even your grandmother can create an SPDX file - provide she has an
>> email account (at least that was a core design principle  that guided
>> us).
>

> Given that the service you're mentioning is proprietary, I'm not sure
> whether the algorithm is the same as what led to Kate's slide or not. But in
> any case the keyring upstream maintainer points out that his licensing is
> detected at https://pypi.org/project/keyring/ and it seems that the service
> Kate used did not detect it.

Paul, Kate:
keyring is actually using the standard Pypi metadata to document its license
in its setup.py file [1] and this contains proper identification.

Note that per keyring metadata the correct license is "MIT and Python-2.0"
and not just MIT.

Mark' scanner may be constrained by its underlying license detection engine
and not catch this alright. I would guess this engine to be fossology.
Mark: is this a correct guess?

Now, the latest ScanCode toolkit [2] detects keyring's two licenses correctly.

ScanCode [2] is open source software and now has emerging support for
SPDX contributed by Sebastian Schuberth.

See also several related comments in this issue Paul entered on keyring [3]

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=list_classifiers
[2] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/
[3] https://github.com/jaraco/keyring/issues/263#issuecomment-281035598

--