Dave,

sorry for my late reply - comments inline below...

On 2023-01-15 16:49, David Kemp wrote:
Assigning a License ID to some amorphous "thing" called a package --
that can be composed of a web of components created at different times
by different authors, and processed by multiple builders at multiple
points in a build hierarchy -- is tricky.  The lower down in that
hierarchy the easier it is to track - if at the bottom a developer of
a leaf (dependency-less) component includes the text of the MIT
license in his component, his intent is pretty clear.  At that point
an SBOM creator binding a license ID to a package ID can be 1)
correct, 2) mistaken, or 3) malicious.  As packages are combined up
the dependency tree things only get more complicated, but the
correctness possibilities are the same.

I agree, the potential cases we have are correct, mistaken, maliciously wrong. Without an SBOM there's the additional case of undefined.

As Polyphemus learned, you don't accomplish anything if you can't
assign names to things.  Not producing SBOMs guarantees that you will
fail.

Hmmm - I think that's a bit strong. Lots of software has been successful over decades without SBOMs :-)

Arguing that naming perfection is impossible therefore we should do
nothing is not persuasive.

I'm not arguing for doing nothing. I've identified an issue and am trying to figure out

a) whether others agree that there's a problem
b) what is already being done about it
c) what else could be done

As technology gets adopted ISO 9000
quality assurance processes and certifications may follow, and pushing
to develop QA standards is great.. Until then, caveat emptor.
Consumers will have to make judgement calls about provider reliability
like they do everywhere else in life.

True

So the underlying problem I see is that manually created metadata
can be
misleading and lead to false confidence (as demonstrated by the
keyring
example). What mechanisms can be applied to ensure that license
assertions based on SPDX metadata are actually true?

What is your proposal?  Forbid manually-created metadata? Forbid use
of SBOMs entirely? I don't believe that's the straightest path to QA.

Well, at the point that someone (or some script) asserts licence metadata, I think it may be worth capturing additional metadata, such as

- the date that the assertion is made
- who (or which program) is making the assertion, preferably with some indication of their competence/qualifications - the basis for the assertion (e.g. manual inspection, automated checking, author of the code etc)

br
Paul

Just an opinion,
Dave

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 9:10 AM Dick Brooks