On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 1:25 AM Sean Barnum <sbar...@mitre.org> wrote:

> My 2 cents on whether our Bundle should have similar approach to the
> current STIX Bundle.
>

> I actually proposed and created the original STIX Bundle. It had almost
> identical semantics to what in our current model we refer to as a
> non-contextual (generic) Collection. That is what we are currently calling
> Document but I continue to believe it should be named Bundle to avoid the
> ongoing confusion with the SPDX 2.X Document which is a contextual
> collection.
>
> The current language around STIX Bundle that asserts it is only a
> transient structure and not a STIX Object (somewhat analogous to our
> Element) with persistent properties, etc. was added when STIX 2.0 was
> defined and is a significant error in my opinion. It ignored the input from
> numerous community members that asserted the Bundle itself had value as an
> object. Some parties may receive a Bundle, take out the content and toss
> the Bundle away but others receive a Bundle, take out the content but also
> keep the Bundle around as a provenance artifact knowing how they received
> those contained elements. The current STIX Bundle definition only allows
> for the former and not the latter and does not allow any Relationships to
> be defined against the Bundle. The parties that made the change insisted
> that Bundle should only support the way they would use it and ignored the
> other input, which among many other such bad decisions led to significant
> portions of the community to walk away.
>
> We should learn from such lessons.
>

> I will continue to argue strongly that our model should have a Collection
> Element that provides the ability to reference 0..* other Elements and to
> specify one or more rootElements of that graph of referenced Elements.

Definitely yes.

> And that our model should have a ContextualCollection subclass of
> Collection that adds the ability to assert some affinity context shared by
> Elements referenced by the ContextualCollection.

OK.  I don't disagree, but would like to see a concrete example of an
affinity context.  I think defining that sufficiently to distinguish
ContextualCollection from Collection is a challenge, but don't object to
trying.

> And that BOM should be a subclass of ContextualCollection and that SBOM
> should be a subclass of BOM.

Definitely yes.

> In pure semantics, a Bundle (what we are currently calling Document) is
> really just a generic Collection and having the separate Document/Bundle
> subclass of Collection is not a logically different thing. That being said,
> I believe there is value in having a Bundle subclass of Collection for ease
> of human perception. I do think that it makes sense to move the ExternalMap
> structure to the Collection class rather than being only on Document/Bundle.
>
> There is a need to have both contextual and non-contextual collection
> Elements.

I don't disagree but don't yet understand the value.

If you disagree with the STIX 2.0 Bundle, then I'll create a new name for
it:
  * "Bag" can be the name for an ephemeral collection of Elements,
motivated by the same considerations and having the same characteristics as
defined in STIX 2.0
  * I don't have any opinion on what to call a persistent "Bundle" of
Elements that is itself an SPDX Element.  I just don't see the value.
There is a use for keeping a tarfile after extracting the files from it,
and there is also a use for reusing the same name for a tarfile each time
you want to do a transfer.  I usually call mine "z", and my Windows
download folder winds up with z, z (1), z(2), etc.  It's fine if you want a
tarfile-like Element with an id IRI that, once minted, cannot be reused for
a different Element.

But that's different from a requirement for an ephemeral tarfile-like
non-Element.  I believe an ephemeral Bag of Elements is a useful
zero-overhead building block, but admit that it can be modeled as a
property with type Element and multiplicity 0..* without giving it a name.
Naming it just makes it easier to discuss, as Polyphemus discovered
of Odysseus.

Dave