From: spdx-defe...@lists.spdx.org <spdx-defe...@lists.spdx.org> On Behalf Of
David Kemp
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2023 11:25 AM
To: spdx-tech@lists.spdx.org; spdx-defe...@lists.spdx.org
Subject: Re: [spdx-defects] [spdx-tech] SPDX 3.0: When to use a property or
relationship

As a general rule, properties are used when an element's content is known at
the time the element is created, while either references or relationships are
used when that content is expected to change over time.  For example, a
hypothetical "Person" element would include immutable properties of a specific
person, but would not include a "child" property because children can pop up
later.  A Person element could include a parent property because parents don't
change, and/or a "parentOf" relationship could be used to cover more dynamic
possibilities like unknown or sealed biological parents that could be
discovered or unsealed after the child instance is created.

So if I understand the example, Option A should work since the status of a
specific product with respect to a specific vulnerability should not change.
And if it does change, a new VEX "urn:spdx.dev:vex-cve-2020-2849-2" will be
issued to supersede "-1".

But I'm not sure how "Our version of this package was modified" gets translated
to "We are not using this component" with a "product" property.  Are "we"
creating a product that has the identical name, including version number, as a
package (urn:npmjs.com:elliptic-6.5.3)?  If so, how is the unaffected package
or product distinguished from the original/unmodified baseline that presumably
is affected by the vulnerablity?

v/r,
David

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Thomas Steenbergen <opensou...@steenbe.nl