On Sep 27, 2006, at 9:55, Barry Ferg wrote:

Johannes, if as you say "many people do this kind of thing in many circumstances", why limit their ability to do so in this circumstance?

I'm simply acknowledging that many people do this.

Of course, a substantially larger number of people doesn't do this. For example, there is a reason why most people prefer

    interface Foo {
        public String getName();
    }

over

    interface Foo {
        public String [] getName();
    }

just to be safe in case some instance of Foo might have two names some day. (There are some who always do the second.)

This proposal doesn't _force_ anyone to us multiple parameters with the same name. I'm in favour of keeping the specification flexible by not imposing unnecessary restrictions on future extensions to the protocol.

For that matter, isn't having implementation issues in certain restrictive development environments drive the specification kind of like the tail wagging the dog?

I'm not making that argument (although it shouldn't be ignored either). The argument I'm making is that an equally important problem occurs on a higher level, which is harder to solve than writing a few additional pack or unpack routines.