It might create some confusion depending on the audience.  For the
audience that doesn't run their own web server, or have their own blog,
it might be confusing to enter a URI.

This approach would help those users make the transition without
restricting the users who do "get it" from entering URIs.  It also
provides a simple way for RPs to appeal to a larger set of users (e.g.
my mother-in-law wouldn't understand what to enter if asked for a URI
based identifier).

Thanks,
George

P.S. Hopefully I've got Thunderbird sending plain text messages now so
they don't get "scrubbed" in the archives.  Sorry about that.