[Please pardon me if I am spamming the spec mailing list with general comments/issues that might have been discussed before]

It's not the problem of just making AOL users OpenId enabled, so they can access 3rd party RPs (use http://www.aol.com/<loginId> or http://aimpages.com/<loginId> or http://journals.aol.com/<loginId>, etc....) - as someone else said it's a matter of educating the users (even if it takes long time based on user's geek level - because pretty much every IDP out there today tries to educate users about how to make sure they are not entering their credentials at a phishing site, but it still happens).

It's more of a problem with how we can accept 3rd party OpenId users at AOL (we as an RP). Obviously for simple use cases like leaving comments on blogs it wouldn't really matter as long as the user is identified by someone (and someone doing rate limiting or something else to prevent spamming - otherwise I still can't see how it reduces spam anyway) - but when we want to take it to the next level - provide more services to these users (photos/calendar/etc.. ) we want to limit it to only a few IDPs whom we trust. (due to both security and business reasons). So this is the problem we are trying to figure out how we can message the users that we support OpenIds from certain providers (say Verisign PIP) but not from all. Obviously we can just follow the existing model of a free form field that says "Enter your OpenId" but most of the time we will end up failing the users saying "we don't accept your OpenId". Just bad user experience in our opinion. So instead we want to somehow message the user saying these are the only IDPs we trust - whether showing a drop down list of IDPs on the login form or something else, we want to see a standard way of doing it so user's don't feel like they are in an alien world from one RP to another (ofcourse keeping aside the phishing issues). We totally agree that adding another option to the already confusing list of account types is a bad idea.

Another area where we want some more clarification (if it already exists) or support is about how we can have a persistent handler (apart from URI) for a given user so it would help in cases when a user's account gets reclaimed by someone else. Instead of it being an additional attribute that IDP can advertise as supported (which an RP can get via the Attribute Exchange protocol), if it can be baked into the "authentication" response, itself as a required field, it would help in having a common way of doing a locally stored identity discovery. If it can be generated similar to how PPID (Private Personal Identifier) is generated dynamically by Infocard it would be a great addition to OpenId IMO.

thx
=Praveen.alavilli