On 2-Feb-07, at 11:10 AM, George Fletcher wrote:
> That depends completely on what the authentication mechanism and
> even one time use tokens can be phish'd and used to compromise
> accounts.  For example, the rogue site gets the SecurId and then
> immediately logs in on its own using the supplied credentials.
> Those credentials establish a session that can then be used to
> compromise the account.  So it helps, because the rogue site can't
> could easily do plenty of damage (or set up back doors) with just
> one phish'd session.

Then I would say that the OP was wrong in stating that the
authentication was unphishale. The meaning of the phishable flag is
supposed to be "OP's assessment of its authentication mechanisms". If
it lies or makes a wrong assessment, it's not a very good OP.

> What authentication mechanisms are not phish'able and yet don't
> require client side code? How many are viable to a user to
> participate in?  I have a SecurId and it can be a pain even though
> it protects my account.  Do users want to deal with this level of
> inconvenience? (The should, but will they?)

Yes, if the security is important to the users, they should deal with
the slight inconvenience. I say slight because this is exactly where
OpenID helps -- the user can securely (unphishably) login to their OP
once, and then not have to do the same for all their 10 bank RPs.

I can't say how many will actually go for this, but I would hope more
and more will see the security benefits and be willing to pay the
slight inconvenience price. At any rate, it's their choice, and we're
trying to make it clear they have it.

Johnny