Yes, Marty Schleiff at Boeing is working on an RFC for how to represent XRIs
in an LDAP directory for that very reason -- to establish standard OIDs for
this attribute. LDAP already has a URI attribute type, but downcasting an
XRI into a URI just to squeeze it into that attribute type loses the
semantics that the XRI is an abstract identifier for the resource. So Boeing
wants to establish OIDs for primary-xri (value of the canonical XRI) and
alt-xri (value of any other XRI synonym).

OpenID URLs really have the same problem -- yes, they are URLs, but they are
URLs with the specific property of being OpenID URLs. The LDAP URI attribute
doesn't have that semantics.

I don't think Marty's on this list but I'm cc'ing him.

=Drummond