How about if the openid.oauth.scope response parameter defined in Section 9 be changed to be a more generic OAuth status indicator? It can be used to indicate which scopes were authorized in the success case, or it can be used as status/problem indicator if there was an error.

Perhaps the allowed values can be the same as the values defined in the ProblemReporting extension.
http://oauth.pbwiki.com/ProblemReporting

Allen