We need to remember that XRD only addreses discovery for URL identifiers. XRD
does not address email like identifiers. XRD actually has two properties.
1) generic format for resource descriptor documents (XRD documents)
2) protocol for obtaining XRD documents from HTTP(S) URIs.
For email identifiers we are using only property (1) which is by and large
defined, except for the signature part.

David Recordon wrote:

> Hey David,
> I've been following some of the discovery work the past few months,
> but don't have a clear picture if the various components are actually
> solid enough to begin working with.  I know XRD is moving forward, but
> what's the state of site-meta
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-site-meta-01
> ) or now WebFinger (http://code.google.com/p/webfinger/)?  Is there
> something in WebFinger which wouldn't solve OpenID discovery entirely?
>
> These questions and the lack of adoption of XRD, site-meta or
> completion of WebFinger have all contributed to my belief that we're
> still just not ready to redefine how OpenID's discovery process should
> work.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> --David
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: David Fuelling <sappe...@gmail.com>
>> Date: June 9, 2009 10:07:20 AM PDT
>> To: Allen Tom <a...@yahoo-inc.com>
>> Cc: secur...@openid.net, gene...@openid.net
>> Subject: Re: [security] OpenID Security Best Practices Doc
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Allen Tom <a...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Is the community ready to move forward with OpenID 2.1?
>>
>> I can't necessarily speak for the community, but I'd at least like
>> to move forward with the 2.1 Discovery WG.  The output of that is
>> expected to be a "best practices" document relating to Discovery
>> that would (it is expected) be used in the regular OpenID 2.1 WG.
>>
>> I'm not opposed to doing all of this in parallel.
>>
>> I do believe that we really need a security best practices document,
>> and it shouldn't have to wait until OpenID 2.1 is finalized.
>>

>> +1
>>

>> Anyway, when you said you had been "nominated", it made me think
>> there's some shadow process going on behind the scenes when it comes
>> to these Working Groups.
>> At the December 2008 IIW, I was either nominated or was volunteered
>> to work on Security Best Practices document after I strongly
>> advocated that the community write one.
>>
>> Cool.  Like I said, I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't be doing
>> this work.  I just wanted to make sure it was "open".  I wasn't at
>> IIW, so that explains my disconnect.
>>
>> Am I missing something?  Are there "private" WG discussions going on
>> that the rest of us can't see?
>> The security best practices document was first discussed at the
>> December 2008 IIW session on OpenID 2.1, completely in the open.
>>
>> See my comment above.
>>

>> Or are you just "taking some initiative", as it were?
>> Well, I'd been procrastinating for more than 6 months, but I think
>> we waited long enough. More and more sites want to deploy OpenID,
>> and it's about time we had a security document that potential
>> implementers can read, other than just reading the specs, and
>> various blog posts.
>>
>> :)  -- I'm glad you've started working on this.  It's important to
>> have.

> [...]

-----

Santosh Rajan
http://santrajan.blogspot.com http://santrajan.blogspot.com