PAJANY Floris wrote:

> Hello everybody ! :-)
>
> Just a few words to say that Benoit's drivers for our modem are great. I
> installed the kernel 2.4.3 on my mandrake 7.2 configuration and compiled the
> drivers. It works fine but if you intend to use them under a SMP
> configuration (like my Abit BP6 with two celerons 500), you had to PATCH
> your kernel with the code provided by Tony Hoyle usb-smp-fix-2.4.2
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23818&release_id=2939
> 6)

I agree. It's really nice to have open source drivers, especially since it allows
easier debugging.
Unfortunatley it appears that problems related to the USB version of the
speedtouch, aren't
necessarily the fault of Alcatels mgmt program... It goes a little deeper.

I've played with the speedtouch (USB) on three machines so far. It works (Mostly)
on two
of them, and fails miserably on the 3rd. The failures (Which can be experienced
on any of
the 3 boxes) are all USB timeouts talking to the device.

The boxes/motherboards & USB chips I've tried are

IBM Aptiva E33 - on-board USB (usb-ohci)        Works mostly. Except it's a real
pain to get
   up and running after booting. Multiple timeouts mean about 10-30 minutes of
rmmod'ing,
    plugging & un-plugging the modem until it finally gets in a state that it
will accept the download.

IBM Thinkpad A20p - Onboard USB with BX chipset (usb-uhci) - The most stable of
the 3. I generally
only have to plug it in & away it goes.

Abit VP6 dual processor (2x PIII 866EB's. Same batch) using on-board VIA USB
(usb-ohci) I get
timeouts before it even identifies the devices. Not isolated to the speedtouch,
it won't id a USB
Zip drive either.

Abit VP6 (Same as above) with Belkin 2 port USB card. It identifies the devices,
but won't download.
Looking at the debugging with Benoits drivers, it looks like the failure occurs
in the first block downloaded
or queried from the device.

Now, are these experiences the same with everyone? Or am I just unusual. I'm
using kernel 2.4.3 (2.4.2
did the same), and the latest speedtouch & pppoatm patches. I also have glibc
2.2.2 & gcc 2.95.3 on all
3 boxes...

> Even though I don't test the stability of the drivers and the whole
> configuration (during a few hours for example), I think it will be fine :-)
>
> Merci,
> FP
>
> PS : besides, I think what is written above proves that the problem with the
> Speedtouch USB under Win2k with a multiproc configuration is NOT a hardware
> issue!

Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe