On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 01:32, Tony wrote:

> I just had a problem with usbdevfs where :
> 1)kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 3 rqt 192 rq 18 len 8 ret -110
> 2)kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
>
> I get (1) with initial connect anyway, so I don't worry, but this time it
> happened while connected (2), as such caused a time-out on USB dev 3, which
> caused ADSL line blink.
>
> I'm running:
> K: 2.4.18
> speedtouch-20011007

Are people still going to the old website? I know the old snapshot is
quite stable but there have been changes to the modem_run code since the
snapshot (and it helps if people are running at least 1.0 if not
bleeding edge CVS :-)

> I tried killing proceeses and various modprobe -r mod's, but had to resort to
> a reboot, a crime I know, but I didin't know what else to do.
>
> Can anyone advise on a usbdevfs restart proceedure, or somthing else ?

USB has always been a bit dodgy when it comes to a clean restart. I
think currently one of the channels is locked open and the bus can't be
reset. Last time I experiemented with the USB_RESET comand it just
killed it completely.

I don't really follow USB developments, it may of improved recently? I
think the startup script may attempt a complete shutdown (or at least I
remember at least one version doing a complete rmmod).

You could try your distro's USB scripts (e.g. Mandrake has a script
dedicated to bringing USB up and down, hence I don't load USB stuff in
the adsl script).

Enough rambling from me now...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]