On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, v wrote:

> My friend has got suse 8 and a speedtouch modem from alcatel,
>
> He has installed everything and configured it, everything was working but
> decided to reinstall after reinstall,
>
> the following happens:
>
> >after i've added the next lines to the /etc/modules.conf
> >
> >alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
> >alias tty-ldisk-14 ppp_synctty
> >alias tty-ldisk-13 n_hdlc
> >
> >the adsl0 is added to eth0 and lo during rebooting process, but i stil have
> >the same message
> >
> >modprobe: cannot locate module tty-ldisk-13
> >
> >and don't have access to the Net...
> >
> >thanks,
>

> does any one here have the answer because i cant figure it out,

I don't know what is wrong - maybe n_hdlc isn't found. Have you tried
depmod -a?

However, if you add -a to the pppoa3 commandline then you don't need
the n_hdlc module so if the module had got corrupted or won't load
you can at least get onto the net.

(I get a more reliable connection with the -a option and it doesn't
seem to up the load on the box measurably but I also have a buggy
usb chipset and a patched(hacked) pppoa3 so my results should be
taken with a pinch of salt :-)

Regards,

Tim.

Just spotted the problem - ldisc - not ldisk!

and there was light.

     http://tjw.hn.org/      http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/