Hi/Salut —

At 00:23 08/03/2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:

>matt carnegie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Starting ADSL conn: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> >  usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
> >
> > Intuitively, I thought this meant the whole thing failed. However, on
> login,
> > I noticed that that I seem to be connecting to the ISP as I've been
> assigned
> > an IP. All the RX/TX packets have errors though.
>
>Read the FAQ and look for the exact answer to your problem.

The FAQ answers his first question but not, unless I'm mistaken (in which
case I apologise), the second point about all the packets being reported as
having errors. Which is a problem I also have:

Ifconfig output
           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           RX packets:192303 errors:192638 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
           RX bytes:225585251 (215.1 MiB)  TX bytes:9675981 (9.2 MiB)

On a possibly related note: the matter of CRC errors is mentioned in the
FAQ, but attributed to dodgy USB chipsets. While that may be the case, I
have tried it on 3 different chipsets on 2 systems and still get get a
large number of CRC errors every so often and the only reliable fix appears
to be to reboot the machine or if you wait long enough the connection comes
back up.

The CRC errors are often followed by the following USB messages in the Syslog.

Mar  8 18:05:20 userdh224 kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep
0x7 len 106 ret -110
Mar  8 18:05:21 userdh224 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

I should add that the connection is unusable while this is happening. With
the latest drivers it also gives VPI/VCI errors.
I'm using Debian Testing with a custom kernel: Linux 2.4.20 #4 Fri Nov 29
21:48:32 GMT 2002 i686 Celeron (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

As I'm writing this, lots of CRC errors started appearing followed by USB
timeout messages 3 minutes later. Then it went back to CRC and VPI/VCI
errrors, and five minutes after it started the connection is now back up,
without my intervention. If anybody has any logical explanation I would
appreciate it. :)

Thanks/merci.

--
Andrew France