wito ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> yes I agree to your opinion: but where in the hell is my "higher level
> problem"? Where is a possibility to set wrong configuration info?

Is  the /etc/ppp directory  world readable  ? Else  the /etc/resolv.conf
link  is  just  unusable  for  normal  users  (except  mister  root,  as
usual). I'm  quite sure,  your problem is  something so stupid  that you
simply  did  not  notice  it,   because  you  look  for  something  more
complicated :-)

According  to  what  you  posted,  your problem  is  _only_  related  to
DNS... drivers are not the  cause because data passes through it without
any problem.

PS:  You asked  something  about gethostbyname().   This  is a  function
implemented in the GNU libc since a long time now, and this feature does
not  rely  on daemons  anymore.  That's why  you  don't  have a  [named]
process.

--
Edouard Gomez
-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --