yes I agree to your opinion: but where in the hell is my "higher level
problem"? Where is a possibility to set wrong configuration info?
###################
/etc/chap-secrets
    seems to be OK because I see the confirmation in the syslog file and I
get (little) connection to my ISP
###################
# /etc/ppp/options
#
noauth
usepeerdns
lock
noipdefault
defaultroute
#

###################
the pppd parameter script
/etc/ppp/peers/myadsl
#debug
#kdebug 1
noipdefault
defaultroute
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoa3 -m 1 -v 1 -c -e 1 -vpi 8 -vci 48"
sync
user "xxxxxxxxxx"
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj
persist
holdoff 4
maxfail 25
usepeerdns

###################
the startscript:
modprobe ppp_generic
modprobe ppp_synctty
modprobe n_hdlc
# modprobe usbcore
# usb-uhci
modem_run -f /var/opt/speedtouch/userdriver/mgmt.o -m -s
pppd call myadsl
sleep 5
ifconfig ppp0

###################
the related resolv.conf entries in /etc and /etc/ppp resp.
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Jul  2 19:59 resolv.conv ->
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           46 Jul 15 06:39 ppp/resolv.conf

/etc/ppp/resolv.conf
nameserver 195.3.96.67
nameserver 195.3.96.68

That's my configuration. Of course I tried other parameters in the
/etc/ppp/options - but without success. And I'm sure: 2 weeks ago the system
was working fine with this configuration.
Can you discover any conspicous constellation?