What kernel version are you using?

You should definitely use the latest version of the speedtouch driver

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/download.en.html

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 6:44 pm, Peter Bradley wrote:
> I've been having a lot of difficulty getting my SpeedTouch 330 modem to
> work under SuSE 8.2.
>
> I got the user space drivers, compiled and installed them following the
> mini Howto at:
>
> www.xs4all.nl/~pschram/english.html

You could try

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/speedtouch/
speedtouch/doc-linux/howto/SpeedTouch-HOWTO-en.html?rev=1.3

> However when I give the start-adsl command, I get the following error:
>
> <startadsloutput>
> I'm sorry, I didn't find your ADSL modem!
> Tips: check that you are running this program as root and your device is
> seen by your OS
>       Linux users : check /proc/bus/usb/devices
>       BSD   users : check your ugen and usb entries in /dev

You should have something like the below in /proc/bus/usb/devices

P:  Vendor=06b9 ProdID=4061 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=ALCATEL
S:  Product=Speed Touch USB

The only thing you should have to do is

mount none /proc/bus/usb -t usbdevfs

or should have the following in /etc/fstab

/dev/usb /proc/bus/usb/ usbdevfs defaults 0 0

Why have you got the pppoatm module loaded you shouldn't need it for the
usermode driver.