Hi John, thanks for the informative message.  It sounds like you get an
endpoint stall.  Can you please recompile your kernel with USB debugging
turned on, and send me the messages when this occurs.  This makes some
kind of sense because the packet size for the endpoint is 64 bytes with
endpoint 1, and 32 bytes with endpoint 2, so buffer over/under-runs in
the modem are more likely with endpoint 1.

Ciao,

Duncan.