> 1. How are modem_run and pppd automatically being started when I plug in
> my modem?  I am bugged being a GNU/Linux user/administrator who has no
> clue what a piece of his system is doing behind his back.

As I remember You used speedbundle. So the automatic part is obtained through
hotplug.

There are several files which contain descriptions of diffrent devices. This
enables hotplug to recognize those devices. On my system description of
speedtouch modem is in:
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.usbmap

Every entry starts with a name of a script that will be used when device is
plugged or unplugged. In this case its speedtch

This script is located in /etc/hotplug/usb

I think that the script responsible for running device scripts is:
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent

As for other questions I have no idea.

cheers

--