James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

>Emad ElMehelmy wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I installed Fedora Core 2 and had problems with my speedtouch modem, so
>>I installed updated kernels (one after another, now I'm using
>>2.6.6-1.435) and added "-e 1" which wasn't needed in RedHat 9 (2.4
>>kernel). This solved the problems I had and the modem is working fine
>>but I get the message:
>>
>>"Cell had wrong VPI(0)/VCI(16) (OAM?) PTI=0x00"
>>followed by
>>"Cell had wrong VPI(0)/VCI(16) (OAM?) PTI=0x01"
>>This happens continously as you can see in the /var/log/messages.
>>
>>I tried that latest Speedtouch driver (1.3) but haven't solved the problem.
>>
>>Attahced a zip file of my /var/log/messages of the last boot.
>>
>>Emad
>>
>>Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
>>Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>VCI values below 32 have been reserved for specific standardized
>purposes. Examples:
>VCIs 3,4: OAM flows (ITU-T Rec. I.610)
>VCI 5: Signalling (ITU-T Q.series)
>VCI 6: Resource Management (ITU-T Rec. I.371)
>VCI 16: Integrated Layer Management (ATM Forum ILMI)
>VCI 18: PNNI Routing (ATM Forum PNNI)
>
>Many standard documents can be downloaded from:
>http://www.atmforum.com/standards/approved.html
>
>So, VPI/VCI 0/16 is normally used for sending AAL-encapsulated SNMP
>messages.
>
>You can safely ignore them for the purposes of sending internet traffic
>over the speedtouch DSL modem.
>
>Cheers
>James
>
>Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
>Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm not that knowledgeable in communication protocols, so I can't fully
understand what you say.
Who is using VPI/VCI of 0/16 as I'm using 0/35 in /etc/ppp/peers/adsl as
follows:

    debug
    kdebug 1
    noipdefault
    defaultroute
    pty "/usr/local/sbin/pppoa3 -e 1 -m 1 -c -vpi 0 -vci 35"
    sync
    user "xxxxxx"
    noauth
    noaccomp
    nopcomp
    noccp
    novj
    holdoff 4
    persist
    maxfail 25
    usepeerdns

I'm using the standard supplied speedtouch script at /etc/init.d and
speedtouch.conf at /etc for activating the modem at boot-up.