Hi.

Complete novice question. My girlfriend uses Fedora Core 2 and wants to
connect to Pipex Xtreme using her silver Speedtouch 330. I'm away at the
moment and and trying to help her set it up over the phone which isn't
easy as neither of use have ever set up an ADSL modem before so any help
would be appreciated.

I got her to download the rpm for Mandrake (1.3.2.i586.rpm) and install
that (as I thought it would be easier than compiling and installing).

She altered the setup script with the changes mentioned on the mailing
list so that it altered modprobe.conf. It ran with no errors and she'd
put the firmware in the right place

If she uses the original kernel that came with Core 2 then when she
types speedtouch-start, it claims to start ADSL, login and it gives
sensible sounding addresses for DNS services and ipaddresses. (if we use
some later kernels it doesn't seem to get so far).

If she runs ifconfig -a it has a ppp connection with sensible
addresses attached yet she can't view websites or ping, if she attempts
to visit Google Mozilla just says "Resolving google.com until it times
out".

We've tried direct connection and using proxy details we
found on a random website by a pipex user but I'm throughly
stuck now, I don't know what the problem could be (sounds like
a DNS thing? rather than related to the fact we used rpms for
Mandrake rather than for FC2) and I don't know how to diagnose
the problems further.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Jon