Hi,

> After one week trying to get that green thing (Alcatal SpeedTouch USB)
> to work I decided to ask for some external help. I've managed to establish
> connection and everything seems running just fine. But approx. once an hour
> the modem (or driver or something) locks up and connection is broken.

what does "locks up" mean?  Do you just mean that it stops working?

> Actually,
> I'm able to reproduce this lockup quite reliably by downloading one specific
> file from Internet. Logs don't give much info about this problem, pppoe just
> fails reading and times out waiting for PADO offer:
>
> pppoe[394]: read (asyncReadFromPPP): Session 4552: Input/output error
> pppoe[515]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
>
> After this lockup I'm not able to reconnect and I'm forced to reload usb
> module
> and modem microcode to connect again. I'm using kernel driver for SpeedTouch
> together with RFC 2684 bridge (my provider supports PPPoE only) and
> rp-pppoe.
>
> I tried to trace the packets in "frozen" state by using "pppoe -A" command
> (access concentrator discovery). The packets are comming through nas0
> interface
> (RFC 2684 bridge) and they arrive to ATM AAL5 layer. Unfortunately, I
> was not
> able to find out whether they actually arrive to modem via USB.

In the speedtouch module source, you will find the following:

/*
#define DEBUG
#define VERBOSE_DEBUG
*/

If you change this to

#define DEBUG
#define VERBOSE_DEBUG

then the contents of all packets plus a bunch of other stuff will be dumped
to your system logs.

I hope this helps,

Duncan.