Hi Meri,

> I'm trying to get a green stingray Alcatel speedtouch ADSL modem set
> up on my Debian Sarge box (kernel: 2.4.24, packages latest from
> testing) and have following the instructions in the Debian Sarge HOWTO
> (http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/docs/sargehowto.html)

you probably shouldn't be following that HOWTO: the debian package
maintainer tells me that better instructions come with the package.

> connect(0.38): Resource temporarily unavailable

This means that the firmware was not loaded.

> I'm assuming this means that either the firmware isn't being loaded or
> (more likely) the script to load the firmware (from the HOWTO) isn't
> actually executed.
>
> Can anyone help me diagnose further/fix this please?

You may need a usermap.  Put the following in /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtch.usermap

speedtch 0x0003 0x06b9 0x4061 0x0000 0x0000 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00000000

It's more likely that the hotplug script can't find modem_run, or that modem_run
can't find the firmware.

All the best,

Duncan.