----- Original Message -----
From: "Duncan Sands" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 11:03 AM
Subject: [speedtouch] Re: Problems after following Debian Sarge HOWTO

> > Wich version of modem_run are you using?
> > v1.3 /v1.3.1 try to be smart (remember if the firmware was loaded or not
but
> > this fail in some cases). When this happen, it is bad as the only way I
know
> > to load the firmware really inside the modem again is to reboot.
>
> To see if the semaphore is there "but shouldn't be", you can do
>
> cat /proc/sysvipc/sem
>
> If there is an entry, you can delete it using
>
> ipcrm sem id
>
> where id is the id from /proc/sysvipc/sem.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Duncan.
>
> PS: Gilles, the IPC semaphores often go wrong for me - it seems to be
racy.
> I've given up on it and gone back to an earlier version of modem_run.
> PPS: David Woodhouse and I have implemented firmware loading in the
speedtouch
> module, so there will soon be no need to use modem_run with the kernel
module.

I am still with v1.2 for the same reason.

Thank for the semaphore help.
I had sometime a problem with eci-usb too wich use the same sort of
semaphore for other purpose.

Beware that implementing the firmware loading in the kernel module may
trigger some legal problem.

We have still some legal question with eagle-usb driver .The module is GPL
but some files status used inside the modem : firmware (internal firmware =>
bootloader in speedtouch) and dspcode is not clear.
The firmware has a GPL header but is a binary with no source and is actually
linked inside the module (it may be made external with a small change).
The dspcode has no header, is a binary with no source and should be the
equivalent of what is named firmware in speedtouch langage.

A question concerning this subject was asked at debian-legal there