Actually, with the latest fedora (and vanilla 2.6 kernel for
that matter) you don't need modem_run at all since David Woodhouse
and I implemented in-kernel firmware loading...  You need to put
the stage 1 and stage 2 firmware files somewhere in the firmware
path (mine are in /usr/local/lib/firmware).  The (small) stage 1
firmware should be called  speedtch-1.bin; the stage 2 firmware
should be called speedtch-2.bin.  In order to cater for different
modem revisions, you can give the files a more complicated name
that includes the major (and optionally minor) modem revision.
For example, if you have a stage 2 firmware file that is only
for revision four modems, then append .4 to the end:

speedtch-2.bin.4

If it is only for revision 4 modems with minor revision 0, then
append .4.0:

speedtch-2.bin.4.0

The kernel looks first for a file which matches exactly your modems
major and minor revision number (.4.0 for example); if not found it
tries for one that matches just the major (.4 for example); if not
found it tries for one with no revision information.  So if you only
have one modem, you can simply call the two firmware blobs
speedtch-1.bin and speedtch-2.bin and all will be well.  I have
two modems and in my firmware path I have:

speedtch-1.bin  speedtch-1.bin.4  speedtch-2.bin  speedtch-2.bin.4

All the best,

Duncan.