Yo, yo! Good news. I decided to try different firmware (an old mgmt.o
from a speedmgmt tarball that gave a 513.9 KB speedtch-2.bin) with the
2.6.10 kernel and yay! The lights did flash, this was printed in the logs

Nov 23 15:29:03 hame kernel: usb 4-2: found stage 1 firmware speedtch-1.bin
Nov 23 15:29:03 hame kernel: usb 4-2: found stage 2 firmware speedtch-2.bin
Nov 23 15:29:03 hame kernel: ADSL line is synchronising
Nov 23 15:29:03 hame kernel: DSL line goes up
Nov 23 15:29:03 hame kernel: ADSL line is up (576 Kib/s down | 288 Kib/s up)

I just had to run pppd call speedtch to connect with Wanadoo, so it's
looking good.

Duncan Sands wrote:
> Hi Andrew, try adding the following line to speedtch.c:
>
> #include <linux/config.h>
>
> Add it before the other includes:
>
> #include <linux/config.h> <== here
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #include <linux/moduleparam.h>
>

> Then recompile and reload the speedtch module.
> You should then get tons of messages in your logs.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Duncan.
>
> Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB
> Pour se désinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've been building Linux From Scratch without using the raw kernel
headers for a while now. /usr/include/linux/config.h looks like this

#error "Compilation aborted. Please read the FAQ for linux-libc-headers
package."
#error "(can be found at
http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/doc/)"

I could move it out of the way and temporarily replace it with a
symbolic link pointing at /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h, but
when you say speedtch module, do you mean the kernel driver? I build
that into the kernel, so do you mean recompile the kernel?