Le 14.01.2005 21:48:21, Benoît Audouard a écrit :
> SuperDindon a dit :
> >
> > yes i know about this isn't legal ( yet, i hope so ), but if i
> remove
> > the precompiled package, then the first interest of my package, its
> > simplicity, will be partly lost
>
> if it is not legal, you cannot knowingly upload it on debian
> repository
> first step first : obtain a decent license to distribute
>
> > for now i prefer waiting that Alcatel remind me that it isn't legal
> so
> > i'll do remove the package including their firmwares
>
> so you'll be back at step 0, your package becomes unusable ?

no, my package isn't only an "official package including firmwares", it
brings up many other features.
also only the precompiled package for i386 which is hosted on my
personal page doesn't respect Alcatel license, the source package is
completely GPLed

> I think that debian uploader will remind it to you before Alcatel...
> post-sarge it will even be stricter : "binary blob" end up in
> non-free,
> the driver in contrib, so chances are that they are not even on
> shipped CD
> :'-(

yes of course it won't be ever uploaded on Debian pools, it isn't my
goal, the official package is more more adapted to be released by
Debian mainteners ( not completely free, and also abusive use of
Debconf ), but mine is more more user-friendly

> > Mmm how to download firmwares without any internet connection?
> through RTC modem, through a LAN, at an internet cafe (then on usb
> key,
> CDROM, floppy disk...). That's the problem of the egg and the chicken
> ;-)
> You forgot : without being connected, how to find useful
> documentation,
> how to google, how to obtain support on forums or IRC...

his proposal was about the package itself.