It's me again.

Yellow Dog Linux 4.0.1, kernel 2.6.10, G4 iMac, Alcatel Speedtouch USB
modem.

I am still unable to make a connexion through Speedtouch, because I
could never get an atm-aware version of ppp-2.4.3 (for various reasons
that I have described before).

Browsing through Rpmfind for pppoatm.so, I found that it is also
provided by ppp-2.4.2-7 (Fedora family, thus probably suitable for YDL).
I therefore installed this ppp. In the configure and Makefiles of
Speedbundle, I removed the references to module, linux-atm and ppp and
then did .configure && make && make install.

Everything went fine and I thought that I was nearly there. But, when I
tried to connect, I got this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] speedbundle-1.0]# pppd call speedtch
pppd: /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.3/pppoatm.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

I then tried to fool the system by making a copy of /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2
and renaming it 2.4.3, but this did not work:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] speedbundle-1.0]# pppd call speedtch
pppd: Plugin pppoatm.so is for pppd version 2.4.2, this is 2.4.3

It appears that Speedbundle (or Speedtouch) firmly wants 2.4.3. But
would it not be possible to coax it into using 2.4.2 by some appropriate
  change? I have gone through the Speedbundle directory, but could not
see  where the version number 2.4.3 is specified.

Can somebody suggest some course of action? I should be most grateful.

Charles

Remark: I never had such trouble with YDL 3.0.1 (kernel 2.4.22 and
ppp-2.4.1).