Andrew Benton a écrit :
> Charles Trois wrote:
>
>> There remains one difficulty: Speedtouch does not start at boot,
>> and I have to type "pppd call speedtch" to launch it. I believe
>> that I have done exactly what is prescribed on the Gentoo page
>> (about rc-update, etc), but obviously there is still something
>> wrong.
>

> Hopefully it's just a case of adding the command "pppd call speedtch"
> to a script that gets run during the boot process. This page
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4
> talks about the Gentoo bootscripts. I can't be more specific as I've
> not installed Gentoo

Yes. It was indeed a matter of an init script. In case someone else is
interested, I'll explain what I have found.

The instructions of the Speedtouch/Gentoo page are not sufficient. The
part about writing a file /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 with the contents
PEER="speedtch" is all right. But the command

        rc-update add net.ppp0 default

refers not to the net.ppp0 above, but to a Gentoo init script that one
has to write and place in /etc/init.d:

#/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 init script

#!/sbin/runscript

start() {
        pppd call speedtch
}

With this in place, Speedtouch gets launched at boot.

Thanks very much, Mr Benton, for your attention to this case.

Charles