On 2010-04-07, g.bra...@gmx.net wrote:
> Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-07, Kevin Horn wrote:
>> > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Guenter Milde

> Günter, I'm surprised that you're making such uninformed statements.

I have to realize that I did only look at the surface with Sphinx adding
many elements to the rst syntax, sometimes even incompatible (the ..
class:: directive) and with code duplication (I have to admit that I only
looked at my special field, the LaTeX writer).

> Sphinx is not intended as a replacement for docutils, and it does not
> try to make docutils obsolete.  You should know that by now.

I accnowledge this with pleasure. I hope that there will remain a
"peacefull coexistence" of these tools, developing into a closer
co-operation or at least coordination.

> Otherwise, don't you think I wouldn't have bothered porting docutils to
> Python 3

I assumed this was just to give Sphinx a clean start,

> or contributing back speedup patches?

while this should have me told otherwise.

> Correct.  Sphinx builds upon docutils, and uses as much of docutils as
> possible, with the LaTeX writer being the only exception ...

Does this mean that I can, e.g. use SVG and SWF vector images in HTML
after installing the Docutils development version without change to
Sphinx? This would be good news indeed.

Thanks for your clarification,

Günter