Hi,

I am having kind of the same problem. I would like to have only the
files referenced in my masterdoc to be included
in the html build of sphinx.

My current setup is the following one:

source
------index.rst (with references to each departmentX.rst)
------------general_src/lostsoffilesanddirectories

------------departementA
------------------conf.py (In this file I reference the index.rst
file as master)
------------------departmentA.rst (this file is referencing files
which are in the general_src directory)

------------departementB
IDEM
------------departementC
IDEM

So the moment sphinx is reading its files, it reads in all the files
of the general_src directory.
But I only reference a couple of files of that directory. I was trying
to using the exclude_pattern but
this does not really solves the issue.

So after I build the documentation a lot of unused files are ending up
in my build directory.
They are not referenced but still they are in the html build.

Is there a way to circumvent this?

Only thing I can think of at the moment is adding some extra step
which reads the toc, copies the files to one directory and
then execute a sphinx-build for that directory only, but this is a bit
overkill I guess.

Could be that I am using sphinx in the wrong way so if somebody has an
idea how to circumvent this?

Koen