On Thursday, 24 May 2012 20:01:37 UTC-4, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> That was 1-2 months ago, and I anticipated a "thanks, we'll patch",
> "sorry, your patch is flawed/there is a reason not to go this route" or
> just "thanks, we'll have a look later" in this time frame.

I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation by default; on the other
hand, it's possible that it's not consistent with how the people who "run
this project" are doing things. If that's the case, then I for one would
like to see more clear expectation setting in Sphinx's own documentation on
what the project-runners' community engagement standards /are/, just so we
could all know what we'd be required to do to engage on our parts, and so
we could all know how we can expect our attempts to engage to be dealt with.

> If you have suggestions how I can more effectively contribute to this
> project (other than the patched, pull request, and snarky mails ;)),
> just let me know. Otherwise I just leave it at this, and work on my own
> projects.

Sadly, I don't really have any suggestions on you can more effectively
contribute to /this/ project in particular. The only comment I'd make is
that "snarky emails" might not be the best engagement strategy in the face
of a bunch of quiet and/or non-responsive project moderators -- you have
very little basis for knowing ahead of time that a "snarky email" will be
received in the way you intend, so really, it's similar to swinging around
your fist in the dark.

But everyone has their own personal style.

I myself had a small change I made to the Sphinx core code for my own
project's purposes, and I asked about it a while back on this group, only
to be met with silence. My response to that was to shrug, maintain my own
branch, document my changes for my own reference, and just continue to
down-integrate from the main distribution when it changes.

My change is probably not worthy to be pulled into the core, and at some
point I should probably figure out a way to change my project to not
require my changes to Sphinx' code... my code changes probably arose from
unsophisticated use of the tool and not doing things in a particularly good
way in my docs projects...

--
Viktor