Hmm,

I've got my module docstring as the first thing in teh file -- after the #!
line...

and it still doesn't show up in the docs.

the module:

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""
outputters.py

module to define classes for GNOME output:
  - base class
  - saving to netcdf
  - saving to other formats ?

"""
import os
import copy

and in my rst:

.. automodule:: gnome.outputters
.. autoclass:: Outputter
    :members:
    :show-inheritance:

But the docs jump right to the Outputter class  -- no docstring for the
module

and this is the case all over my project.