Hi,

We'd set 5 goals for 2.0 release.
(refs: https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/4484)

* Make APIs and configuration items stable and public.
* Drop old environment supports
* Split unmaintained or less used builders and extensions to external package
* Switch versioning rule to semantic versioning
* Use HTML5 builder by default

I think the last one is a big change for users.

>What is the reason for the release change to 2.0 (and not to 1.9)? Is it
>mostly because we drop the support for Python 2.7 and 3.4?

Yes, that's one of the reason.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA