Hi Nikos,

This is very intriguing and spectacular.

No idea about the date on front page
(it is not French) but apart from that all your
problems could be a pure LaTeX one unrelated to
Sphinx.

To investigate better is it possible you make a copy of
your on-going Sphinx project, keeping only in the source
one heading and sub-heading and one sentence (it
does not have to make senses) in each source document?

(we only need obviously a few paragraphs of text to test this)

Then execute make latexpdf and share the result i.e.
both the rst sources and the latex build repertory
as one small zip archive?

To understand the problem I need indeed both the .tex
file produced by Sphinx and the .log file produced by
latex (both will be in latex build repertory), and it is
simpler to get the entire repertory in case (this is not
probable) some problem arises from the other files
in there

(perhaps we will simply see tons of LaTeX warnings of
the type
font not available, substitute used)

And prior to executing make latexpdf on such
a new, clean, small, project with the conf.py
using GNU FreeFont as I explained previously

please also insert in your conf.py this extra

latex_elements = {
   'passoptionstopackages': r'\XeTeXtracingfonts1\relax',
}

i.e. add to existing latex_elements the above key value pair

J.-F.