Just a small suggestion, as I continue thinking on this problem,

if all files that has been through a

make

process can be 'remembered' of their 'hashed content value' (hash number) and
be detected the second time, when

make

is carried out again, and as 'hashed numbers' are recorded and compared with
the previously generated hashed values, to find out TRULY if the file's content
has ACTUALLY changed or not, to generate a list of files to be remade (changed)

Just a thought. What do you think?