With Sphinx 3.5.4, I am seeing pathnames apparently parsed incorrectly.

Example:

Index file contains

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 2

   binding_free_energies/binding_free_energies
   general_md/general_md
   protein-ligand_md/protein-ligand_md

When this is processed, the first entry (bind_free_energies) works fine.

The other two generate a sphinx warning about "nonexisting files" that
shows a truncated version of the pathname, such as

"general_md/general_"

(missing the MD).

If anyone has seen this before I'd appreciate some insight.