Hi, I'm trying to build docs for a set of libraries. I have a top-level
directory containing the Sphinx Makefile and conf.py generated by
sphinx-quickstart and then I have a "libraries" subdirectory in which I
have git cloned several libraries. So the structure is like this:

./conf.py
./Makefile
./libraries/
./libraries/lib1/documentation/source/index.rst
./libraries/lib1/documentation/source/other.rst
./libraries/lib2/documentation/source/index.rst
./index.rst   # includes the above index.rst files

My problem is that the libraries may include git submodules that themselves
contain documentation, and Sphinx is automatically including those .rst
files. I get many warnings like these:

/home/cgay/dylan/workspaces/doc2/libraries/http/submodules/concurrency/documentation/source/index.rst:48:

WARNING: Duplicate description of Dylan class
concurrency:concurrency:<executor>, other instance in
/home/cgay/dylan/workspaces/doc2/libraries/concurrency/documentation/source/index.rst

I've tried using exclude_patterns = ['**/submodules'] and variations on
that idea, but I can't seem to make Sphinx ignore the submodules
directory.  This seems pretty much exactly what is being done in the
example in the Sphinx docs here to ignore **/.svn ...
https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html?highlight=exclude_pattern#confval-exclude_patterns

Any help appreciated. I'm using Sphinx 4.2.0.

Thanks.
-Carl