David Brownell wrote:
>> As some of you know, but perhaps not Eric, I am creating a driver that
>> is a major expansion of pxa2xx_spi.c, so I am trying to stay involved
>> with pxa2xx_spi.c development to limit structural changes that might
>> make my work more difficult.  This may be a fool's errand, because my
>> changes are so significant that they likely never will be accepted into
>> the driver.
>
> At one point we had discussed having something like an SSP/DMA engine
> driver, on top of which could live various protcols ... SPI, maybe I2S
> for Alsa-SOC (if AC97 isn't appropriate), data capture/streaming stuff
> (which ISTR was more your interest) ... like that?

I have a very narrow view at that moment, and my understanding of the
kernel is especially narrow.  I don't know enough about what you are
suggesting to offer an opinion.  It might work out.  Yes, streaming data
is my interest.

>> Possibly a change to Documentation/spi/pxa2xx should be made to
>> highlight the ways in which use of SSPFRM differs from use of a GPIO.
>> Maybe I will take a shot at that with this patch.
>
> Separate, please.  I'll repost the relevant patch from Vernon ... that
> seems like it should become a part of that.

Interesting.  OK.  Vernon slipped a note or two about DMA length,
related to one of the two patches you will get today, so maybe his would
work for the SSPFRM issue, too.

> For "A && B", it's guaranteed that A runs before B;
> both values are evaluated as nonzero/true vs zero/false.
>
> C has worked that way forever.

Hmmm... OK.  I guess I have spent the last 28yrs trying to avoid
reliance on that for naught. :-)

--
Ned Forrester                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oceanographic Systems Lab                                  508-289-2226