On 07/18/2011 12:47 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:13:50AM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:57:47AM +0300, Alon Levy wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:13:27AM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
What use case do you have in mind for this? Is it meant for use during
development when something asserts but we forgot to run it in gdb? Or do
you want to get more backtraces from crashes in bugzilla? I'm asking
because /usr/bin/gstack comes in the gdb package here, which is not likely
to be installed on "users" boxes. glibc also has backtrace(3) and
backtrace_symbols(3), but they are explicitly documented as GNU extensions.

Both I guess. Ok, so this fails the second use case. I can do both -
compile backtrack support in if it is available (there must be some
define I can use)

Or this can be checked for in configure.ac

I'm not sure configure.ac is the place to check it.

and do gstack first if available, otherwise (if
compiled in) glibc's backtrace.

Yep, though for now we can just go with the gstack based trace, and add the
backtrace() code later if it's really needed.

Christophe

I'll take that as an ack.

Maybe just check (stat) that /usr/bin/gstack exists before fork+exec (although it's already safe as in such a scenario exec fails and child exits)