Hi, Will.  I'm also kind-of new to amateur radio and numbers stations
(mainly because reception with a Sony ICF-SW35 in the middle of New
York City is less than ideal).

Aside from scouring Wikipedia, I would recommend using the schedule
information available from <http://cvni.net/radio/skeds/output/> as a
guide.  Don't treat the data as definitive or even as accurate for
any purpose because nothing is "for certain" when dealing with
numbers stations.

The only station I've been able to receive consistently is V02a (a/k/
a V2a).  It transmits on 5883KHz at 07:00 UTC (3AM Eastern Daylight)
and on 5898KHz at 08:00 UTC (4AM Eastern Daylight), so it keeps me
busy during those bouts of insomnia :-)  You should be able to pick
it up more clearly than I can - even with WWCR interfering on 5890KHz
(they tend to run their transmitters hot).

        KC2TTK