> -----Original Message-----
> From: spooks-boun...@mailman.qth.net [mailto:spooks-boun...@mailman.qth.net]
> On Behalf Of KD7JYK DM09
> Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 19:59
> To: Shortwave Spy Numbers Stations
> Subject: Re: [Spooks] WHY

> : - obscurity is not security
>
> At what point would this occur?

Before I answer, I just want to make absolutely clear a few things:

        1) I'm *not* looking to pick a fight.  It's 100% friendly :-) See?  I'm
smiling!

        2) The answers I give draws example from practical communications
(i.e.: SWL logs of DGI communiqués) and most of the terminology comes from
contemporary communications theory

        3) I'm sorry I'm long-winded, but I hope it's a fun read.

With that out of the way, here we go!...

"Obscurity" means "not unknown, but not well-known".  For example, the Sun may
be obscured by clouds but it does not negate the fact that the Sun shines; I
might not speak Japanese, but given enough time with a Japanese-English
dictionary, I can figure out what I have been told; and despite having told no
one about their schedules, M08a, V02a, and SK01 activity has been spotted
repeatedly and consistently enough that the SWL community (bonus points to Ary
and ENIGMA for their newsletters) have figured out the weekdays, times,
frequencies, and formats of said transmissions.

"Security" means "not to be known except for the sender and the receiver".  The
etymology of "security" (if memory serves) comes from the Latin "sans" and
"caro" ("without" and "care", i.e., the ability to be careless).  I excerpt
from A. C. Doyle (because I can't put it better myself):

>       ...who was it that wrote this note?" He [Abe Slaney] tossed it forwards
> on to the table.
>
>       "I wrote it to bring you here."
>
>       "You wrote it? There was no one on earth outside the Joint who knew the
> secret of the dancing men. How came you to write it?"
>
>       "What one man can invent another can discover," said Holmes.

For those who haven't read "Adventure of the Dancing Men", skip to the next
paragraph - I don't want to spoil it for you ;-)  For the rest of you, the
message should be considered obscured because substitution cyphers are readily
discernable.  ROT13 would have been just as good (or should that be "bad"?)
because... well, you've surely read Holme's monogram on the subject so let's
just move on, shall we?

For those of you who skipped the spoiler, welcome back.  With DGI as the
example, they are able to transmit their communiqués as recklessly as they want
over [relatively easily accessible] shortwave because [1] despite the obscurity
of Morse, Spanish, and RDFT; [2] despite the inconvenient dates, times, and
frequencies; [3] despite the millions of SW radios capable of tuning in (even
if entirely by accident); and [4] despite myriad logs of these overheard
conversations; the messages' meanings are not readily apparent.  The symbols
transmitted ("dit"s, "nueve"s, and RDFT) are readily comprehensible, but we do
not know with any certainty the significance of any symbol.  It's a bit like
hearing Klingon for the first time: each grunt is a symbol, the symbols have
significance, and yet despite being interpretable, 99.9999995% of the world
won't understand it.  (And that's an optimistic figure!)

Languages refrain (forcefully sometimes) from changing the significance of a
given symbol so that the most number of people can send messages encoded in a
common frame of reference (English, Spanish, Klingon, or what have you) and be
interpreted from the symbols in order to obtain significance.  It's so simple
that even babies can pick up the pattern - precisely because it's a consistent
set of symbols repeated over time.

In secured communiqués, the significance of a symbol is obscured.  Forget for a
moment that I've just implied that "security is essentially obscurity"
because... well, frankly, it is... but assuming that DGI isn't asleep at the
wheel even a tenth as much as Pedro is at the controls of Radio Internacional
de Espionage de Cuba, they would be using fully randomized one-time pads.
These OTPs are known (to the sender and the receiver) but not well-known
(everyone else).  But, since one-time pads are (by definition) never reused and
never printed more than twice, we can safely assume that no one (aside from the
sender and receiver) can ever know the significance of each transmitted symbol.
 Finally, by randomizing the jumbles of numbers, each symbol's interpretation
changes dynamically, symmetrically, and constantly.

Put another way, the "language" changes: too quickly, too wildly, too
gibberishly.

(By the way... it's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where your children are?)

This is what separates obscurity from security: unless you were present at the
printing press and managed to five-finger-discount an additional copy of the
OTP, the likelihood of breaking through the layers of obscurity is so minimal
that you might as well go play the lottery.  Given enough time, paper tape, and
replacement vacuum tubes (and money to pay for the electric bill), even
Colossus could brute force all the security out of DGI's OTPs.  You'd just get
a gazillion possible results and no way of determining that any of the results
are even remotely correct.

And so, in conclusion, DGI *obscures* their messages by...

        - relying on the relative difficulty of obtaining, and the relative
ignorance of, SW radio (Hooray for e-commerce and Wikipedia!)
        - not publishing when or where they will transmit (Thanks again, Ary)
        - transmitting Spanish (V02a), cut numbers (M08a), and RDFT (SK01)
        - transmitting varieties of messages (When was the last V02a Tx that
had 9s???) and bogus messages ("Patticacke, patticake, baker's man" for all you
fans of "The Prisoner")
        - and more things that I'm not at liberty to discuss (Ignorance is
bliss; Knowledge is 25-to-life)

...but underlying all that is that DGI *secures* their messages by restricting
who has the list of random numbers and what the jiggery-pokery between the OTP
and the received message is.

I hope my description of the distinction between "obscurity" and "security"
meets with your approval (if not a standing ovation (-:  See?  I'm still
smiling!)

        ✇KC2TTK

P.S.:   La próxima vez que haya un micrófono abierto, díganos «hola», Pedro :-)

P.P.S:  ...y suba esa miserable wattage, ¡coño! >:-(